Whole Wheat Penne Caprese
Pasta is a really great option for a quick and easy dinner. This recipe for Whole Wheat Penne Caprese is a good example of how to use double-doers. Here, mozzarella acts a double-doer; meaning it is both the protein and the fat. What naturally happens is that you save calories without sacrificing taste.
- 1 pound ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 pound whole wheat penne
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese balls, sliced in half
- 1⁄4 cup thinly sliced fresh basil
1. In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes, olive oil, vinegar, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Toss well and refrigerate for 1 hour.
2. Cook the pasta according to package directions until al dente. Drain and toss gently with the marinated tomato mixture. Gently toss in the cheese and basil and serve immediately.
A single serving of this recipe is a complete 1:1:1 meal.
1:1:1 Accelerated option: Enjoy this for lunch only.