My clients know that I love dark chocolate chips! Using them in baked goods allows you to have a treat that will satisfy your cravings without going overboard. These muffins have been enhanced with shredded zucchini to keep them moist, which also adds fiber and allows you to use less flour.
- Cooking spray
- 11⁄2 cups fat-free milk
- 3⁄4 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce or mashed banana
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 11⁄4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 11⁄2 cups finely shredded zucchini
- 1⁄2 cup semisweet dark chocolate chips
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F and generously spray a 12-cup, standard-sized muffin tin with cooking spray.
2. In a large bowl, combine the milk, yogurt, and sugar. Mix well until creamy. Stir in the applesauce or banana and mix well again. 3. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, cocoa, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt. Add the dry mixture to the wet ingredients, stirring until just combined. Fold in the zucchini and chocolate chips until well incorporated. 4. Divide the batter evenly among the muffin cups. Bake for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean. Cool for at least 20 minutes before serving.
Make it 1:1:1: Top with a 1 tablespoon butter and pair with protein, such as milk or Greek yogurt.