Jazz up your NFL tailgate with these healthy and delicious couchgating ideas! Full of color and flavor, you can easily look at game day as a meal and 2 snacks. Keep it simple, watch your portions, and have fun!
Plant-Powered Trail Mix
This recipe is a twist on the classic trail mix. In a large bowl, combine whole wheat cereal squares, BBQ and Sea Salt & Vinegar Wonderful Pistachios, and crunchy chickpeas. This creates a savory and healthy snack for game day. High in plant protein and fiber, snacking on this will keep you feeling full and satisfied. 1/3 cup is a serving.
1:1:1 Hummus Platter
Spruce up your hummus and veggie platter with pita chips and spinach artichoke dip. Bright colored veggies like broccoli and peppers liven up the plate! Unlimited veggies. 14 pita chips. Up to 2 tbsp. of either of both dips.
Pomegranate-Glazed Chicken Wings
This recipe is so full of flavor! The pomegranate juice brings antioxidants and a sweet-tart flavor base, and sumac and red wine vinaigrette balance perfectly with apricot preserves and honey. This a great healthy protein side to balance other carb snacks that we typically eat while watching football. The toppings add a pop of color that make this dish insta-worthy!
- 2 cups POM Wonderful 100% Pomegranate Juice
- ½ cup no sugar added apricot fruit spread
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tbsp. sumac spice
- 1 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp. honey
- 2 tbsp. red wine vinaigrette
- 20 pieces (2 lbs.) chicken wings
- cooking spray
- 1 tbsp. of avocado oil
To serve (optional)
- 1/2 cup pomegranate arils
- 2 tbsp. chopped green onions
- Start with the glaze first. In a saucepan, combine all of the ingredients. Bring to a boil, and cook uncovered with a gentle boil for about 40 minutes (from the moment it starts boiling), until it’s reduced to about 1/2 cup, whisking for time to time.
- Preheat oven to 400F and line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Spray with a little bit of cooking spray. Arrange the wings on the baking sheet and drizzle avocado oil on top.
- Bake between 15 to 30 minutes (depending on the size of the wings and your oven) or until golden cooked through.
- Remove from the oven and brush the wings generously on all sides with pomegranate glaze.
- Return to the oven and broil on high for about one minute, paying close attention not to burn the wings.
- Serve hot and top with chopped green onions and pomegranate arils.
Prep Time: 10 minutes. Cook 50 minutes. Serves 4 (5 pieces/person).